Kubernetes The Hard Way
Kubernetes The Hard Way provides a step by step guide to bing up a Kubernetes cluster with HA.
Kubernetes The Hard Way is optimized for learning, which means taking the long route to ensure you understand each task required to bootstrap a Kubernetes cluster.
The target audience for this tutorial is someone planning to support a production Kubernetes cluster and wants to understand how everything fits together.
Kubernetes The Hard Way guides you through bootstrapping a highly available Kubernetes cluster with end-to-end encryption between components and RBAC authentication.
- Kubernetes 1.9.0
- cri-containerd Container Runtime 1.0.0-beta.0
- CNI Container Networking 0.6.0
- etcd 3.2.11
This tutorial assumes you have access to the Google Cloud Platform. While GCP is used for basic infrastructure requirements the lessons learned in this tutorial can be applied to other platforms.
- Installing the Client Tools
- Provisioning Compute Resources
- Provisioning the CA and Generating TLS Certificates
- Generating Kubernetes Configuration Files for Authentication
- Generating the Data Encryption Config and Key
- Bootstrapping the etcd Cluster
- Bootstrapping the Kubernetes Control Plane
- Bootstrapping the Kubernetes Worker Nodes
- Configuring kubectl for Remote Access
- Provisioning Pod Network Routes
- Deploying the DNS Cluster Add-on
- Smoke Test
- Cleaning Up